About Essential Skills
The Government of Canada and other national and international agencies have identified and validated nine key essential skills for the workplace.
What is an Essential Skill?
An essential skill is a necessary developed ability or capacity acquired through deliberate, systematic, and sustained efforts to smoothly and adaptively carryout complex activities or job functions involving ideas, things and/or people.
Why are these Skills “essential”?
Essential Skills are the skills that people need for work, learning and life. They provide the foundation for learning all other skills.
Why are Essential Skills important to industry?
These skills are used in nearly every job and at different levels of complexity and then enable people to evolve their jobs and adapt to workplace change.
Essential Skills and the Trades
Good Essential Skills means you will understand and remember concepts introduced in techinical training. The level of Essential Skills required for most trades is as high or higher that it is for many office jobs.
Essential skills are used in nearly every job and at different levels of complexity. The provice the foundation for learning all other skills and enable people to evolve their jobs and adapt to workplace change. The following 9 skills have been identified and validated as key essential skills for the workplace.
New Essential Skills Mobile App
Assessment Tool for Teachers and Students Features:
- Profiles of over 40 different trade and technology careers.
- Summary of the Nine Essential Skills for the workplace.
- A comprehensive set of questions that can be completed on average in 15-20 minutes. Results are provided as a star rating link to careers in trade and technology sectors.
- Social Media features for users to share their results with friends, teachers and parents. Students can post and compare their results to see how their friends are performing and progressing. Teachers can use the App as a classroom tool.
- A link to the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) Office of Literacy and Essential skills with access to all the National Occupational Profiles. Results can be compared against the levels of complexity in the ESDC profiles for specific skilled trade careers.
- A directory of all trade and technology schools and training facilities in Canada.
The Essential Skills Mobile App is designed for iPhone®, iPad® and iPod Touch® and android devices and is currently available free for download in the App Store and Google Play.
For more information regarding the Essential Skills, check out the Skills Canada website at Skills Canada